Pheasant View Homeowners' Association

PO Box 871463, Canton, MI 48187


On this page you can find information regarding concerns which are brought to our attention by homeowners.  For some of these, there are township ordinances or state laws that directly address them.  Others are just a matter of common courtesy and being good neighbors. 

There is a great new page on the Canton Web Site,  "Keep It Neat", that has all of the information you need about trash collection and recycling.  Our subdivision's normal trash pickup day is on Wednesdays.

Here is the link to the entire Charter Township of Canton codification of ordinances.
(Note: This link will open in a new browser window on the website. In order to view the contents of the municode website, the acceptance of cookies in your internet browser software must be enabled. For more information please review the municode privacy policy. To return to the PVHA web site, simply close the browser window with the Canton Code of Ordinances in it.)

Recreational Vehicles

Questions frequently arise in the summer months about boats and recreational vehicles.  There are a number of items limiting the keeping of recreational vehicles on your property in Canton and in our subdivision.  Some highlights are: 

Our Covenants and Restrictions state: SECTION 11. STORAGE OF VEHICLES. No house-trailer, commercial vehicle, truck, boat, boat trailer, snow mobile, camper, recreational vehicle or camping, horse or other utility trailer or vehicle (except passenger cars and passenger vans) may be parked or stored on any Lot unless stored fully enclosed within an attached garage otherwise constructed in accordance with this Declaration, except that (I) commercial trucks and vehicles may be parked upon any Lot while making deliveries or pickups in the normal course of business...

In addition, the Canton Ordinances prohibit recreational vehicles to have fixed connections to utilities or to be used for living purposes.  Also, they may only be in the driveway prior to or after a trip for loading or unloading purposes for a period of not more than 48 hours prior to and 48 hours after the use of the vehicle within a 7 day period.

Curb Trees

There are often questions about the trees in front of homes between the street and sidewalk.  Below are some township ordinances.  A more detailed picture of curb tree requirements can be found at the bottom of this page.

Street Tree Trimming  

Sec. 78-2. - Property maintenance requirements.




Shrub and tree maintenance. All trees and shrubs must be kept trimmed so as not to encroach upon any public sidewalk or pathway. Clear headroom must be maintained of at least seven feet zero inches in height.

Sec. 110-148.  Street trees.

The selection and the variety, spacing and planting of all trees shall be done in accordance with standards and specifications adopted by the township board. All street trees must meet the definition of shade trees as specified in this chapter. Street trees for all residential lots shall be planted between curb and sidewalk in accordance with the following schedule:
(1)   Lots with street frontage of less than 80 feet must have a minimum of two trees.
(2)   Lots with street frontage of 80 feet to 100 feet must have a minimum of three trees per unit. Lots greater than 100 feet in width must have one tree planted for every 40 feet of frontage or fraction thereof.
(3)   On corner lots, one tree must be planted for every 40 feet of frontage or fraction thereof, along both the front and side street lines.
(4)   One tree must be planted within each cul-de-sac or eyebrow island. Sod is required as ground cover for each cul-de-sac or eyebrow island.
(5)   Minimum tree size must be at least three inches in diameter as measured 12 inches above the ground.
(6)   Trees must be replaced by the owner or proprietor if the community planner determines that they are not in a healthy condition after one full growing season.
(Ord. No. 126, as amended, § 4.1(F), 4-28-1998)

Snow Removal

Please be aware that it is your responsibility to clear the snow from your sidewalks.

Sec. 62-37. Ice and snow removal.
No person shall permit ice or an accumulation of snow to remain on any sidewalk adjacent to a lot or parcel occupied by him, or on a sidewalk adjacent to any unoccupied lot or parcel owned by him, for a longer period than 72 hours after the ice or snow has formed or fallen. This does not include sidewalks to the rear of a lot or parcel.
(Ord. No. 145, as amended, § 7, 7-24-2001)


Dear Neighbors,

We are having some problems with unleashed homeowner's pets charging other homeowners who are passing or walking their own leashed pets. Please remember Canton's leash laws which require your pet to be leashed at all times when outdoors.  Our own pets love their owners but, by nature all dogs ARE territorial and can become aggressive when they perceive passing neighbors with other pets as a possible threat.

Also, please remember to pick up after your own pet. Most of our homeowners with pets are conscientious about this however, we do have folks entering from other neighborhoods to walk. Therefore, greet everyone cordially by not assuming the first person you see passing with a pet is the culprit who "leaves the doo for you!"
Lynda K. Wishart

The full listing of ordinances regarding dogs can be found in Chapter 14 of the Charter Township of Canton codification of ordinances.  These include:

Chapter 14 - Animals

Sec. 14-10. - Sanitation.


It shall be unlawful for any owner of an animal to allow or permit such animal to soil, defile, defecate, or commit any nuisance on a public thoroughfare, sidewalk, passageway, bypass, play area, park, or any place where people congregate or walk, or upon any public property whatsoever, or upon any private property without permission of the owner of such property, unless:


Such owner shall immediately remove all droppings deposited by such animal by any sanitary method, and for such purposes shall possess a container of sufficient size to collect and remove the above-mentioned droppings and exhibit the container if requested by any official empowered to enforce this chapter.


The droppings removed from the aforementioned areas shall be disposed of by the owner of such animal in a sanitary method on the property of the owner of such animal.


Yards shall be kept free of accumulated animal droppings and shall be maintained in a sanitary manner so as not to be a nuisance because of odor, attraction of flies or vermin, or be likely to cause contamination to sewers or waterways.


Nothing in this section is intended to supersede or invalidate any property maintenance provisions set forth in chapter 78 of this Code.


Any person violating this section shall be responsible for a municipal civil infraction. The fine for a violation of this section shall be one hundred dollars ($100.00) for a first offense, two hundred dollars ($200.00) for a second offense and four hundred dollars ($400.00) for a third or subsequent offense.

(Ord. of 4-9-2013, § 1)


Sec. 14-14. - Parental liability.

The parent or guardian of any minor claiming ownership of any animal subject to this chapter shall be deemed to be the owner of such animal and shall be charged for all penalties and fees imposed under this chapter.


There has been a problem with garbage that is not properly bagged and secured being blown through the neighborhood.  All of our Township trash guidelines can be found at:  Ordinances can be found in Chapter 58 of the Charter Township of Canton codification of ordinances. Please note that all cardboard boxes must be broken down and tied.  Place all regular rubbish in bags or cans, not exceeding 50 pounds. Regular rubbish pickup includes all regular household bulk items such as couches, chairs, mattresses, box springs, televisions, lamps, tables. There is a limit of two large items per week.


Canton ordinances specify that signs cannot be placed in the right of way or designated easements.  The actual ordinance can be found in the Canton Township Code of Ordinances and searching for "signs" to get to ARTICLE 6A.00. -- SIGNS.

Scooters and Go-Peds

Safety in preventing accidents should be utmost in the mind of homeowners ... especially the safety of our children.  It has been noted that motorized (gas and electric driven) scooters and pocket bikes (gopeds and mopeds as defined by Michigan Vehicle Code) are in our subdivision.  the potential for accidents with these "toys" can create serious injuries not only to the youngster driving, but also to residents in their path.  If you are interested in the laws regarding scooters / mopeds / gopeds, there a good article can be found at the Citizen Observer

From the Michigan State Police question and answer page:

Question: Where can I legally ride a goped?
Answer: A goped, while not specifically defined in the Michigan Vehicle Code, does fall under the definition of a moped (MCL.257.32b). Mopeds are required to have certain equipment such as; a headlight, brake light, seat, horn, muffler, and brakes on each wheel, in order to be legally operated on the roadway. In addition, the operator of a moped must be at least 15 years of age, have a moped license or an operator/chauffeur license, and the vehicle must be registered with the Department of State and display a valid registration plate. Finally, a person operating a moped must wear an approved crash helmet if they are under 19 years of age.

Because gopeds are not equipped with the required equipment they cannot be legally driven on the roadway. Also, by definition they are a motor vehicle and therefore cannot be driven on a sidewalk constructed for use by pedestrians.

Question: Can someone tell me what the laws in Michigan are for riding pocket bikes?
Answer: If the "pocket bike" has an engine displacement of 50cc's or less, produces 2.0 brake horsepower or less, is capable of a top speed of no more than 30 mph, and the operator is not required/allowed to shift gears, then it may be legally classified as a moped. The document titled "Moped Requirements" lists the operational and equipment requirements for such motor vehicles. Most "pocket bikes" will not meet those requirements and therefore will not be street legal.

If the "pocket bike" has an engine displacement greater than 50cc's then it is classified as a motorcycle and must meet the requirements applicable to that type of vehicle.  Again, most "pocket bikes" will not meet these requirements.

Since we have had one near miss with a car backing out of a driveway, any complaint from homeowners should be directed to the Canton Police who will enforce the applicable traffic law.  Please give careful consideration regarding the consequences prior to purchasing a goped, moped or scooter for your child.

PVHA Board of Directors


Web Template created using Rush Tide.